Friday, February 8, 2013

The arrival of AJ


Early labor started during a staff meeting at work on Monday Evening, I was getting short sharp stabbing pains in my back, which slowly worked their way to the front over the next couple of days. By Wednesday morning they had gotten very intense, so we decided to head into the Ob’s to get checked out. I was only at a 1 so they sent me home and said to come back at my normal appointment time, where we underwent a NST.

Fast forward to Feb 3rd the consistent time able contractions over the past 3 weeks suddenly increased in pain level but got further apart, so we decided to just wait it out a little and relax to see if they came back down. I took a shower and took my blood pressure which had shot up to the high 150/90’s so we decided now was the time to go into L&D. When we got to L&D I was at a 4 but close to 5 so they decided to admit me and get me all hooked up to the IV’s and ready to get an epidural. Within an hour of being admitted I was at a 6 and the OB broke my water all in time to have the epidural placed. This is where I stalled out for 3 hours before getting hooked up to a very low dose of pitocin to help get things moving again. I was admitted around 7pm and was ready to push just before 2am, as a first time mum I was expecting to be pushing for around 2 hours if not longer and was very surprised to welcome our son Alexander James at 2:59am on Feb 4th 2013 a week before his due date. I wasn’t able to hold him right away as he needed additional oxygen just like mummy did while I was pushing as he didn’t give much more than a little moan and had fluid on him lungs. Other then the oxygen he was in perfect health and was breast feeding within the hour.

He is such a happy and content baby and we are truly blessed to have been able to welcome him into our family. My recovery has been very fast, with a bit of cramping and slight pain from tearing, but it’s all worth it and am so glad I have my mum here.

Face time with my English nanny

After they took me of Oxygen

Mummy and AJ

Baby AJ

After Bath time

7lb15, 20inches long

And then there were 3

No comments:

Post a Comment